Medicinal Herb Growing Workshops
Have you been wanting to grow organic medicinal herbs in your garden? Wondering where to start, what to do during each season, or how to grow more vibrant, effective herbal medicine? These workshops are intended to lead you through common organic medicinal herb growing strategies during each season. The workshops take place on the beautiful Orchard Botanicals herb farm in Port Orchard, Washington where we will be working directly with the plants growing on the farm.
Spring Medicinal Herb Growing Workshop May 17 @ 11am-2pm
- Starting medicinal herbs from seed
- Quality control for medicinal seed sourcing
- Propagation of medicinal herbs from cuttings
- Preparing garden beds for planting of seedlings
- Permaculture principles in the organic medicinal herb garden
- Overview of annual and perennial medicinal herbs - how to choose?
- Utilizing cover crops for optimal soil health and weed suppression in the garden
- Mixed herb bed design ideas
- Appreciating and harvesting medicinal springtime "weeds" in the garden
- Harvesting of late spring medicinal herbs
- Seasonality of herb growing: spring
- Tour of herb gardens in spring
- Participants will leave with new plant starts to take home!
Summer Medicinal Herb Growing Workshop July 25 @ 11am-2pm
- Summertime herb garden maintenance
- Harvesting summertime herbs - recognizing the optimal environmental conditions, sustainable harvesting techniques, identifying medicinal parts of the plants
- Processing freshly harvested herbs for storage
- Compost tea recipes and application techniques for optimal plant health
- Medicinal herb growing at different times of day: early morning, mid day, and afternoon activities
- Maintenance of interplanted cover crop species
- Medicinal plant watering strategies
- Weed management
- Seasonality of herb growing: summer
- Tour of herb gardens in summer
- Participants will leave with freshly harvested herbs to take home!
Fall Medicinal Herb Growing Workshop October 17 @ 11am - 2pm
- Fall herb garden maintenance
- Harvesting fall herbs - recognizing the optimal conditions, sustainable harvesting techniques, parts of plant to harvest
- Medicinal root harvesting 101
- Medicinal herb seed harvesting & storing
- Preparing medicinal perennials for overwintering
- Fall cover crop to protect and restore the garden
- Seasonality of herb growing: fall
- Tour of the herb gardens in fall
- Participants will leave with freshly harvested seeds
Classes will be taught by sisters Sarah Farr (herbalist & head farmer at Orchard Botanicals), and Rebecca Zollinger MS/LM (lead teacher at Orchard Botanicals, herbalist, and herb grower).